WHAT IS BARRE3?
Founder Sadie Lincoln answers your questions. Find out more about Sadie here.
- Barre3 evolves the dancer’s workout by combining the grace of the ballet barre with the wisdom of yoga and the strength of Pilates. Barre3 classes are set to an upbeat soundtrack and follow a vigorous pace, moving through a sequence of postures designed to shape and lift the entire body.
Why does barre3 work?
- Our goal is to give you the tools you need to make smart choices for a healthy body inside and out. We are passionate educators and have a unique style of teaching using a 3 step sequence so all levels are challenged and get ongoing results. My team of experts and I continuously evolve barre3 both in studio and with our online workouts so you get a variety of movements, and so our classes are challenging, fun, and fresh.
How is barre3 different from other barre workouts inspired by the Lotte Berk Method?
- The short answer is variety. We are not as closely tied to the Lotte Berk Method as many barre workouts are. Barre3 is more rooted in yoga philosophy and borrows from many disciplines. Barre3 classes change over time as we evolve the workouts to reflect our love of learning and balancing the body.I am, however, a fan! Lotte Berk created an amazing system that has stood the test of time since the early ‘70s. Many popular barre-based workouts are linked closely to the Lotte Berk Method and share a common heritage and class format. Those who enjoy these classes will see how we are inspired—especially in our legwork exercises!
Is barre3 a ballet workout?
- We are different from traditional ballet classes. Clients with a background in ballet enjoy the class because it offers the same grace and carriage but with a barre3 take that fuses other teachings together.
How is barre3 like yoga?
- We are inspired by the philosophy and wisdom of yoga. We call our classes “sneaky yoga” because while you won’t find us chanting Om you will still get the meditative benefits of being completely present in your body for the full time you are working out with us. You will also find many yoga inspired postures and breath awareness cues that support a regular asana practice.
Is barre3 considered functional training?
- Functional training helps to make daily activities easier to do and lessens the risk for injury. So, yes, barre3 is functional! Our goal is to teach you alignment principles that apply to everything you do, from how you hold your kids to sports performance and sitting at your computer. It’s not about the 10-60 minutes you spend doing barre3. It is about how those minutes balance your body all day long!
During intense parts of class, my body shakes. Why does this happen?
- Shaking muscles are a good thing! We call them barre3 “earthquakes.” The quaking sensation is an indication that your muscles are being put under a new kind of stress that they aren’t used to and as a result they are getting stronger. The vibration in your body is also a sign that you are using energy, burning calories and revving your metabolism.
How do I find a studio near me?
- We’re growing! Check our locations page to find a studio near you!
There’s no studio located near me, and I’m dying for one to open in my community!
- You can work out in the comfort of your home with our barre3 Online Workouts. We post new workouts ranging from 10-60 minutes every month. You might like it so much you will want to open a studio! Visit our franchising page to learn more about becoming a barre3 studio owner! You may be the next person to join the barre3 family.
HOW DOES BARRE3 TRANSFORM THE BODY?
What are the physical benefits of practicing barre3?
- The benefit we are most proud of is that clients have literally measured taller after taking barre3 classes. The benefits clients are most excited about is losing inches around their waists, hips, thighs, and upper arms! Barre3 really does shape and lift the entire body.
What mind/body benefits does barre3 have?
- We connect mental health to physical health. Posture, for example, can impact your energy and mood. People who stand “tall and proud” with ease and have a nice balance between flexibility and strength are likely to be more energetic and positive.
How many times a week should I do this to get the best results?
- For fast shaping results, commit to practicing at least 3 times per week. Consistency is key! Whether you have 10 minutes or 60 minutes, find time for yourself and get your workout in. You can even practice barre3 every day, just make sure you’re listening to your body’s wisdom.
Do I need to add cardio to my workout routine?
- Every person is different, so talk to your doctor to see what’s best for you. I supplement my barre3 practice by walking our dog and hiking with my family at least 3 times per week. Choose a variety of heart healthy activities that you enjoy and stick with them for a lifetime of wellness.
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM BARRE3?
What kind of experience is necessary to practice barre3?
- No experience or fitness level is required to practice barre3. We have clients in their 20s and their 70s sweating it out together at the barre. It doesn’t matter if you are an elite athlete or if you haven’t exercised in years—you will be challenged at an appropriate level for you. Just try it for yourself, and you’ll see what I mean!
Can I do barre3 with an injury?
- We are known for our modifications for common injuries. Clear your injuries with a physician before you begin barre3. We are not doctors. We are, however, passionate about helping you make barre3 your own so you can get a good safe workout when you are ready.
Can I do barre3 pregnant?
- Consult with your physician during all stages of pregnancy to see if barre3 is appropriate for you. We have many pregnant clients who have great success with barre3 but they modify to make it an appropriate prenatal program. Every person is different and every pregnancy is different. Get familiar with modifications for pregnancy at home with our 40 minute Glow Pre-natal online workout!
Is barre3 a good postnatal workout?
- Yes! We get rave reviews from new moms. But, please consult with your doctor to determine a good time to start exercising again after having a baby. Once you are ready, this workout is designed to help you get your core strong again, shape your entire body, and lose the baby weight. Squeeze in a quick 10 minute Postnatal online workout at home now!
I am out of shape, not coordinated, and scared to death of your studios. Will I be able to do this?
- Yes! And just so you know, philosophically we are committed to helping clients tap into their own body wisdom and learn techniques to improve posture. We do not believe in a one size fits all fitness method. Barre3 is flexible and can adapt to most needs. Start by trying barre3 Online Workouts. When you are ready, know that our studio community is diverse and accepting.
WHO IS SADIE LINCOLN?
Did you (Sadie) invent barre3 and are you tied to all the workouts?
- Yes, my husband and I founded barre3 and opened our first studio in 2008. Barre3 is based on the collective wisdom of my 20 years experience teaching plus ongoing input from my team of experts ranging from yogis to doctors to dancers.
What does the 3 in barre3 mean?
- Barre3 is less tied to being a “barre” class than we are to the three in our name. Three is a symbol of balance and there to remind us to always create workouts that balance the body.
What is 28 to Great?
- 28 to Great is a complete month-long workout and nutrition plan designed to transform the body, increase energy, and pave the way for consistent health and fitness. Learn more here.
What does the 28 to Great kit include?
- Our kit includes an ongoing monthly subscription to online workouts for $15 a month. There’s no commitment – cancel anytime! You’ll also receive a barre3 core ball, easy to follow nutrition guide, and barre3 wristband, as well as weekly email newsletters with tips and motivation for the week ahead. Join now.
- If you subscribe to online workouts already, we have a kit for you that does not include a monthly subscription. Our kit for current subscribers includes a barre3 core ball, nutrition guide, and wristband, as well as weekly email newsletters with tips and motivation for the week ahead. Join now.
How do I get started with 28 to Great?
- Sign up for 28 to Great here. Once you receive your welcome email, the first step is to read through our recipes and our nutrition philosophy on the blog. Then get familiar with the barre3 Online Workouts. Finally, if you have a studio near you, stock up on studio classes for optimal results. Tip: Start right away. We recommend using a rolled up towel in place of the core ball while you wait for your kit to arrive in the mail.
I do not subscribe to online workouts. How do I join 28 to great?
- If you do not subscribe to online workouts, join 28 to Great here. Note: Your 28 to Great kit includes an ongoing subscription to online workouts for $15 a month. Cancel anytime!
I subscribe to online workouts. How do I join 28 to Great?
- If you subscribe to online workouts, purchase your 28 to Great kit here for $15 plus shipping (subscription to online workouts not included).
How does billing work?
- If you purchase the 28 to Great kit for $28 plus shipping, you are billed $15 a month unless you cancel for your subscription. There’s no commitment – cancel anytime!
- If you already have a subscription to online workouts, join 28 to Great here by purchasing our kit for subscribers. It’s just $15 plus shipping for the kit.
What are your shipping rates?
- Our shipping rates vary depending on where you live. Our domestic rates are as low as $4. Shipping rates to Canada costs $6, and shipping internationally is $10. In some cases, you have the option to expedite shipping. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any further questions. We will help you!
I purchased my kit and have had billing and/or shipping & handling issues.
- Please contact email@example.com so that we can take care of this for you!
I purchased the challenge kit but never received a confirmation email. I’m unsure if I’ve joined.
- Check your spam folder. It’s possible that the email got stuck there. Make sure you’ve added firstname.lastname@example.org to your list of contacts in your address book. Email barre3 support at email@example.com with any further questions. We will help you!
When does the challenge begin?
- We designed 28 to Great so that you can do the challenge anytime, on your own schedule. We recommend starting right away.
Do I need the challenge kit to participate?
- Yes. The challenge kit will you give you the tools for success. You’ll get a barre3 core ball, easy to follow nutrition guide, and barre3 wristband, as well as weekly email newsletters with tips and motivation for the week ahead. Join now.
How will I receive the challenge kit?
- The challenge kit will be mailed directly to your home!
Can I participate in-studio as well as online?
- Yes! If you have a studio near you, stock up on classes so you can get optimal results.
Are studio classes included in the 28 to Great challenge kit?
- All studio classes are sold separately. Find a studio near you to schedule and reserve a class.
How do you track my workouts?
- We do not track your workouts. We trust that you will track your own workouts, whether taken in-studio or online!
Do 10 minute online workouts count for the challenge?
- Yes! Any barre3 online workout counts. It doesn’t matter if you do 10 minutes or 60 minutes. Just make time to squeeze in a workout for the day! If you have a studio nearby, we recommend taking as many classes as you can at your local studio. Note: Studio classes are sold separately.
What does the nutrition plan entail?
- Our philosophy is simple: eat whole foods. Read more about our nutrition philosophy and get familiar with our recipes on our blog. We will send you a weekly email with your meal plan and links to additional nutrition tips on our blog. Expect the meals to be simple to prepare for you and your entire family!
Who designed the nutrition plan?
- Functional nutritionist, Andrea Nakayama, and Sadie worked together to create our delicious and easy-to-follow nutrition plan. Sadie and her team of experts, including Andrea, are here to support you throughout 28 to Great and beyond. Reach out to them on Facebook!
What are some results that other challengers have experienced?
- Participants shed pounds, lost inches, and gained a lot of energy! Many are telling us that 28 to Great is so doable and easy to follow that they are repeating the program for a second and third time. Challengers are inspired that they can fit exercise and healthy eating into their busy lives! Do you have an amazing story to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to hear from you!
How do I join the 7 Day Body Blast?
- First step is to sign up for your online workouts here. Next step is to follow this guided workout and nutrition plan on our blog. Finally, if you have a studio near you, stock up on classes so you can get optimal results.
When does the 7 Day Body Blast start?
- We designed the 7 Day Body Blast so that you can do it on your schedule. Start anytime when it’s convenient for you.
What does the workout and nutrition plan entail?
- Our 7 day plan is designed to help you feel good fast. Commit to 7 days of workouts + 7 days of smoothies, salads, and soups to shed a little weight and gain a lot of energy. View our workout and nutrition plan here.
May I do a combination of both in studio and online workouts?
- Yes! We recommend doing a combination of both in-studio and online workouts if you have a studio near you. Find a studio near you here.
Is it ok if I have coffee and alcohol?
- A small cup of black coffee each day is ok. Avoid alcohol. Read more about how you can make better choices with our “crowding out” philosophy here.
Am I restricted to eating recipes posted on the blog?
- Modify recipes to make this your own. Feel free to incorporate some of your own recipes, provided they fit our Portion Rx and contain fiber, protein, and healthy fats. Refer to our foods to favor and foods to forsake for guidance. Check out our nutrition philosophy here.
Do I need the ball for the online workouts for this challenge?
- Yes! The core ball is a great prop that will help you get amazing results. Purchase it here.
barre3 Online Workouts FAQ
WHAT ARE BARRE3 ONLINE WORKOUTS?
What are the online workouts?
Barre3 Online Workouts are studio routines re-engineered for at home and on the go. Each 10-60 minute video is designed to shape, lift, and tone your entire body. Workouts are low impact and focus on isometric contractions and controlled actions for a tall, lean body and improved posture for long term results.
How are the online workouts different from classes in studio?
With barre3 Online Workouts, you get the latest innovations and variety from our studios in your own home! Plus, you get to work out in your PJs and on your own schedule! In studio you get a one to one connection with your instructor and the motivation that is so powerful in a group setting. All our studio classes are 60 minutes and set to amazing playlists. If you have a studio near you, we recommend going. Find a studio near you.
How can I connect with other barre3 Online Workouts subscribers?
You can join our vibrant Facebook community here. Our barre3 enthusiasts love sharing tips ranging from favorite workouts to what to cook for dinner. Of course, nothing beats the connections you will make in our live classes! Check our locations page for a list of studios.
How does monthly billing work?
Once you sign up for barre3 online workouts, you will be charged $15 automatically each month unless you cancel. Cancel anytime.
Do you have any tips to help me be accountable and practice barre3 consistently?
Why is my video not playing smoothly on my computer?
First, check to make sure that you have a strong, broadband internet connection. Next, try downloading and installing an updated browser (updated versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Safari work well!) and an updated version of Adobe Flash Player. If you need further tech support, contact email@example.com. We will help you!
Why is my video not playing on my iPad/iPhone?
On mobile devices, you could be experiencing streaming issues if you are watching videos over the mobile connection (3G or 4G rather than an internet connection). Barre3 workouts require a broadband connection for optimized viewing and we recommend connecting to a wifi connection.
What devices do barre3 online workouts support?
Barre3 online workouts are supported by laptops, desktop computers, and iOS devices (iPads and iPhones). To check if your device is compatible click here to preview a video.
How can I increase the volume?
Make sure you slide the volume control under the video all the way up to the top. For more volume control, try plugging your laptop in to speakers or connect your laptop to a TV.
How do I change the workout video to full screen?
Access full-screen mode by clicking on the square to the right in the video player controls.
How can I improve the quality of the workout video?
To upgrade the quality of the workout video, change the resolution of the video to 240p or 540p. The higher the resolution, the clearer the image. If you experience unexpected pausing, select Auto.
Is it possible to view online workout videos on my TV?
Can you help me with a billing question?
Check your bank statement to see when your last billing date occurred. We bill on that date monthly unless you cancel your account. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Help! I can’t sign in.
It’s possible that you need to update your credit card information. Do you see the billing page when you try to sign in to view online workouts? If so, it’s likely that your most recent transaction has failed, and you need to update your credit card information to renew your subscription to barre3 online workouts.
Are you trying to schedule and reserve classes at your local studio? If you are unable to sign up for barre3 studio classes, contact your local studio here. We will take care of you!
It’s possible that you are not able to sign in to barre3 online workouts because you don’t have the correct email address. Try signing in with another email address here to see if that helps.
Do you have the right password? It’s possible that you are entering in an incorrect password. Enter your email address here and you will receive an email to reset your password. If you don’t receive an email immediately, check your spam folder.
How do I purchase a gift subscription?
To purchase a gift subscription, go here and follow the purchasing path. The recipient will receive an email with a link to redeem their gift subscription. You will receive a confirmation email of purchase.
Is it possible to put my subscription on hold?
Right now, there’s no option to put your subscription on hold.
Help! I’m having problems purchasing a subscription to online workouts.
Make sure that your billing address is verified, and that you entered in your information correctly. Then, contact your bank to see why the transaction failed. We recommend trying another form of payment.
How do I update my credit card information?
It’s easy! Sign in here, and click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Next, select “My Account.” From there, you can update the credit card information we have on file.
How do I update the email address and password associated with my accounts?
It’s easy! Sign in here, and click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Next, select “My Account.” From there, you can enter in your new information and click on “Update.”
Can I cancel at any time?
Yes! You can cancel your subscription to online workouts at anytime. There’s no commitment.
How do I cancel my subscription?
Sign in here, and click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Next, select “My Account.” From there, you can cancel your subscription to barre3 online workouts.
For any further inquiries, contact email@example.com. We will help you!